IHG Reward Club's Q3 promotion for 2019 is now ready for registration. You can use this registration link and the bonus points are valid for stays between 1st September – 31st December 2019.
Looking around other forums and blogs it seems there is wide variability in the amount of points being offered, ranging from just a single ‘goal' of 1000 points for a single stay to over 100,000+ spread over 5 goals. Mine is pretty good, 83,800 points, which is probably due to not staying in an IHG in the last 3 months and maybe they want me back:
If you can't read the picture above, my goals are:
- Stay at 4 brands – 16800 points,
- Stay at 2 different Crowne Plazas – 8400 points
- Stay 2 weekends (2 nights minimum) including a Saturday night – 5600 points
- Book using points and cash – 4500 points (Ironic that this goal in isolation would actually cause a net loss of points!)
- Book 2 Bonus Points stays – 6600 points
- Complete all 5 above – 41900 points
- Total 83800 points
In my example it would require a minimum total of 7 nights over 5 stays. As we need to spread our stays over multiple brands it makes sense to do the 2-night stays in cheaper brands like Holiday Inn or Holiday Inn Express where you can get as low as €30-€40 on a Saturday night.
An example of a strategy which would work is:
- 1 night stay in a Crowne Plaza (Booked using points and cash)
- Another 1 night in a different Crowne Plaza
- 2 nights in Holiday Inn including a Saturday (Booked with bonus points)
- 2 nights in Holiday Inn Express including a Saturday (Booked with bonus points)
- 1 night in Staybridge Suites or Candlewood Suites
If you are in London one great place to trigger these promotions is around Heathrow Airport where you can find 2 different Crowne Plazas and at least 5 different brands (full list here). You should check Holiday Inn Ariel by Heathrow Airport and its surrounding hotels including the Staybridge Suites Bath Road and its adjacent Holiday Inn which share the same building making checking out of one and checking into the other a piece of cake.
Similarly you can do something similar at the other major airports around Europe.
- Frankfurt (And if you venture into town the Intercontinental Frankfurt is pretty cheap too given its luxury branding.)
- Amsterdam Schiphol
- Paris Charles de Gaulle
If you combine the promotion with some of the tricks mentioned in my Beginners' Guide for IHG Rewards Club there can certainly be good value, assuming you get something similar to my offers. Just don't forget to register first for this Accelerate promotion.